Lately I have been really struggling with balancing my time. My life is so incredibly busy, hence why my blog posts have been so irregular these days. It is something which frustrates me because I still love this space so much and I have so much that I want to write about. Gone are the days when you can just publish a blog post in five minutes, the quality is SO good out there now that I feel under pressure to create beautiful photographs that often take a lot of time and preparation (at least for me); it requires time which I rarely have these days.
Needless to say, I am feeling pretty down in the dumps about my blog and the sheer fact that I just cannot do everything that I want to do. However, despite feeling so gloomy I have decided to just put on my big girl pants and pull myself together. Whilst driving home earlier on this week, the sun was shining and Toto Africa was playing on the radio (it’s one of my favourites) I realised that actually, things really are not that bad. Just the simple fact that it was sunny and music was on made me feel really happy, in that moment I felt good and grateful for what I do have.
So, I have compiled a list of just five things which have made me happy this week. This is something which I am going to try and incorporate into my life each week, whether I get to write about it is a different matter. I highly recommend trying it out, especially if you’re struggling a bit like I am as it really helps to put things into perspective and to of course, cheer you up.
- Music – As I already mentioned, Toto Africa was playing and the sun was shining. This made me feel super happy and positive. Honourable mentions also go out to Ed Sheeran Galway Girl and Bruno Mars 24k Magic, they are both just full of so much energy and positive vibes.
- Driving home last night I passed a learner driver on the opposite side of the road. It was a country lane and had a speed limit of 60mph. She was probably going about 40mph, about eight cars all queuing up behind her. For some reason this made me smile, I remember learning to drive and being cautious and apprehensive about driving fast. I found this really quite charming in some odd way, it is nice to remember that we all start off at the beginning.
- I spend a lot of time in the car, I truly do and unfortunately this week I found myself stuck in an extremely bad traffic jam. My 45 minute journey in the car on a very good day took just under five hours, it was quite simply chaotic. Whilst queuing in traffic all the engines had been turned off, there was a faint hint of music playing and all I could hear were the birds singing away next to fields ablaze with yellow rapeseed. It was the silence which was nice, it was such a contrast to the hustle and bustle of my journey to work; it also helped me de-stress about the fact of just how late I was.
- It is nice to be offered help sometimes, especially when you’re the type of character that never asks for it and just tries to juggle a million and one things by yourself. Just the simple act of my colleague offering to wrap something up for me yesterday before I left for work when I was frantically trying to get a letter and report off to a client before close of business made me so grateful.
- This week I upgraded my phone. It is a bit materialistic this last point which I do try my best to steer away from, however after two years and a bit of my old phone it feels so nice to have a new one. The camera is also so much better too; I feel more positive about taking photographs on the go now which has made me much happier.
What has made you happy this week?